Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hot Fudge Peanut Butter Bars


Ok, so I'm not much of a bar person.  It's not like I've tried a bunch and know this for a fact.  I'm one of those people who can look at food and say, without a doubt, that I won't like it. 

Well, now I've been trying to try more foods [meaning, I don't reject it outright...I complain and grumble, take a grudging bite, make a face, and then eat more of it the next time it is offered].  I've even had some success!  For example, I had my first blueberry a few weeks ago.  [Yes, first at 25 years old].  And then I had it again a week later!  No one offered me a medal or plaque or anything, but I would have received it with great grace and humility, had one been readily available. 

Being as picky as I am when it comes to eating is pretty weird, given the extent I love food. And by "I love food"  I really mean I LOVE FOOD.  I spend the better part of any day thinking about what I'm going to eat next.  Or looking at cute stuff and secretly thinking how it'd look like cookie-d.  It's a problem.  I think the only thing keeping me from being 394734 pounds is my pickiness.  It's like God is protecting me from myself.  Which, quite frankly, I need. 

Anyways, the whole point of this little bit of background information was to really drive the point home about these bars.  I loved them.  LOVED them.  I was caught in a serious bind.  On the one hand I wanted to share them with as many people as possible, but on the other....I really didn't.  Like, when  a friend would eat a bite, I would watch them like a hawk to make sure they didn't eat any more. 

So, go make these.  You won't be sorry.  It has the one of the most beautiful, natural, and awesome unions in the world:  chocolate and peanut butter. 

Need I say more?

Hot Fudge Peanut Butter Bars by Buns in my Oven.
serves enough to make me pretty sick if I eat it all in one sitting.  Which is tempting. 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup hot fudge sauce
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter [I used smooth, but it is up to your preference]
  • 1 cup brown sugar
Directions:

Preheat 350. 

Line 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt in a small bowl.
Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy in another bowl. 
Add one whole egg and two egg yolks. [set aside the two remaining egg whites for later]
Add dry ingredients and beat until incorporated. 
Unceremoniously dump batter  in the pan.

Spread batter into the pan.

Microwave hot fudge and peanut butter until pourable. 

Pour and spread onto batter in pan.

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. 

Fold in the brown sugar gently with a spatula. 

Spread over peanut butter and hot fudge mixture. 

Bake 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Cool.
Cut.
Serve.

I never follow the rules, so I cut them when they weren't cool.  Ate them hot. Which left all the bars into a pretty big and delicious mess. 

Recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup hot fudge sauce
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter [I used smooth, but it is up to your preference]
  • 1 cup brown sugar
Directions:


Preheat 350. 
Line 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt in a small bowl.

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy in another bowl. 
Add one whole egg and two egg yolks. [set aside the two remaining egg whites for later]
Add dry ingredients and beat until incorporated. 
Spread batter into the pan.
Microwave hot fudge and peanut butter until pourable. 
Pour and spread onto batter in pan.
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Fold brown sugar gently with a spatula.  Spread over peanut butter and hot fudge mixture. 
Bake 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Cool.
Cut.
Serve.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. They are sooo delicious! I'm very glad I found them on Buns in My Oven's blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments, so please feel free to leave one! Unless you are spam. If you're spam, I'll still read it, but I won't love reading it. I'll grudgingly read it, and complain the whole time.